January 9, 2008

I am loving days!

So I am finally back on days. It only took about a year for us to hire and train the right person for the job. We went through two hiring processes and had one failure, but are finally almost fully staffed again. We are finding that the younger generation can handle the training process that comes with being a dispatcher. Now I am not saying that someone who is older can't do the job, I am just saying that they have not had as much computer experience as some of us younger adults. We have had a few people that were over 40 who were hired to do this job and the have washed out(as in did not get through the training, because they just couldn't do the job). This totally sucks, because we have to completely train them and give them the full opportunity to develop the skills. Luckily some people just decide to quit and not finish the training, but others have decided to go through with the whole 3 month training process and then wash out. This totally sucks for me, because I am at that point in my seniority that I get tossed from days to nights and back again. As you can see from the title, I am back on days. It has only been 4 shifts, so I am not getting my hopes up quite yet. Although the person who is almost done with training is doing a great job and seems to get the whole picture and can really multi-task. That is a huge part of the job. If you can't listen to two conversations at once, while typing up a complaint and running someone's license plate all at the same time as listening to what calls your partner(s) are taking, then this is not the job for you. It is a difficult job for someone who can't do all of the above things at once. Amazingly there are 12 people who work in my office who are pretty great at this and we all work pretty well together.

Anyway, back to the whole working days and loving it. Did I mention that I really like to spend time with my husband? I find this very difficult when I am working nights and he is working days. I kind of feel like I have a roommate that I sleep with and really don't ever see. It is very difficult! If you have never had to do this, you are a very lucky person. It totally sucks! So I am now working from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Yes, they are pretty long shifts...11.5 hrs, but when you work 2 days one week and 5 days the next it isn't too bad. The weekends get a little long when you have to work 3 shifts in a row, but it is doable. So now that I have had a whole whopping 4 shifts on days, I am really enjoying the time that I am able to spend with S. We have been home together the last few nights. It is taking some adjusting for both of us, but we are up for the challenge. I have worked nights since we started and dating and pretty much the whole time that we have been together. So adjusting to me being on days is going to take a little bit of time. S is a great cook and I love being at home at night to watch him cook these amazing meals. I sit on a dining room chair with my glass of wine and just am mesmerized by his cooking ability. It is really fun to watch. He is very NOT by the book, which I am not used to. I grew up with my mother making amazing meals that were cooked strictly by the recipe. It is fun to see S add a little bit of this and a little bit of that without really measuring it out. He goes strictly by taste and smell. I love it. He should have his own cooking show on Foo.d Net.work.

That is enough for tonight, I have to get to bed as 6 a.m. is going to come really quick. Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite!

Night,
Kt

2 comments:

Greg said...

Wait until there is a little Skatey running around to find out just houw much working nights suck! I feel like I miss 3 months of E's life every time I go back to working the devil shift.

Oh well, it makes the money I guess.

Chastity said...

Congratulations on moving to days! My dad used to work nights sometimes when I was a kid, and those were always rough months.